More than 200 citizens of El Paso, Juarez and the valleys were guests of El Paso Electric at a dinner on November 26, 1929 when the Rio Grande Power Station was placed in operation for the first time.
The Honorable R.E. Thomason, Mayor of El Paso, pressed the button that placed the facilities of the new power station at the service of the people in this community. Speeches were made by Mayor Thomason, F.J. Gannon, El Paso Electric Manager, and Arturo Flores, Mayor of Juarez.
Dinner was served in the giant turbine room. After dinner, guides conducted tours through the power station and explained the operation in detail. While dinner was served, the Dusky Stevedores entertained the crowd with musical selection, both vocal and instrumental, and executed several clever dance numbers. The guests received armchair ashtrays as souvenirs.