El Paso Electric (EPE) first began serving its customers on August 30, 1901. It was then known as the El Paso Electric Railway Company. Initially its primary business consisted of providing transportation via mule-drawn streetcars, which were replaced in 1902 with electric streetcars. By 1925, the Company’s core business had evolved to producing and distributing electricity. That year, the company changed its name to the El Paso Electric Company. It was also granted authorization to transact business in New Mexico.
Today, El Paso Electric is a regional electric utility providing generation, transmission and distribution service to approximately 392,000 retail and wholesale customers in a 10,000 square mile area of the Rio Grande valley in west Texas and southern New Mexico. Its service territory extends from Hatch, New Mexico to Van Horn, Texas and includes two connections to Juarez, Mexico and the Comisión Federal de Electricidad (CFE), Mexico’s national utility. EPE’s principal industrial and large customers include steel production, copper and oil refining, and United States military installations including the United States Army Air Defense Center at Fort Bliss in Texas and the White Sands Missile Range and Holloman Air Force Base in New Mexico.
EPE has a net dependable generating capability of 1,852 MW. It’s facilities include a 15.8 percent interest in the Palo Verde Nuclear Generating Station in Wintersburg, Arizona, a 7 percent interest in the Four Corners Station in northwestern New Mexico, the Rio Grande Power Station in Sunland Park, New Mexico, the Newman Power Station and the Copper Power Station in El Paso and the Hueco Mountain Wind Ranch in Hudspeth County, Texas.