Customer-Owned Distributed Generation
Please use the following link to access the small size renewable energy interconnection process and its requirements:
- As of 9/4/2018 all installation must meet Neutral Requirements
- The Solar System Relocation Process is now available for your reference.
- Revised and approved by NM Regulatory Commission Power Purchase Rate 16 is now available for your information on this web-page.
- REC Meter Cans Requirements - June 9th Revision. Please note that starting October 27, 2014 EPE will not accept the one-line diagram that does not show a fusible disconnect.
- The updated Renewable Energy Interconnection Manual for Small Size Systems (≤10kW) is now available
The process for interconnecting a customer-owned qualifying facility, 10 kW or smaller, to the El Paso Electric (EPE) distribution system is as follows:
1. DOCUMENT REVIEW
Below please find all the documents you may need to submit for solar system interconnection. Please review our Renewable Energy Interconnection Manual for instructions on all the forms:
- Simplified Interconnection Application
- Renewable Energy Ownership Status Form
- Sample One-Line Diagram
- Form W-9
- Form 35 - Notice of Self-Certification
- Agreement for Direct Deposit (optional)
- Note: All Customers with an existing water heater meter must have it rewired. After the water heater has been rewired, please call our Customer Service number in NM at 575-526-5555 to request the water heater meter to be removed by El Paso Electric. Please do not request EPE's solar system field inspection before submitting a request to remove water heater meter to EPE.
- Simplified Interconnection Terms and Conditions
- All three-phase Y-connected systems require three-phase connected inverters
- EPE’s Technical Requirements for Interconnection
- NM Rate 16 - Purchased Power Service
- NM Rate 33 - Small System Renewable Energy Certificate Purchase
- New Mexico Public Regulation Commission 17NMAC9.568, Interconnection of Generating Facilities with a Rated Capacity Up To and Including 10 MW Connecting to a Utility System
- New Mexico Public Regulation Commission 17NMAC9.570, Governing Cogeneration and Small Power Production
- Interconnection Application Packet - Sample Forms
To complete the application process please include the following information in your application package. Please wait for approval before starting construction. If the system is built prior to gaining EPE approval, the customer risks paying for a system that does not qualify for EPE incentives.
Note: Technical review approval of the one-line diagram is contingent upon wiring, inspections, and system installation. These must be in accordance to EPE's requirements book and must reflect the information provided in the one-line diagram.
a. Print and complete two copies of the Simplified Interconnection Application. Please sign both originals.
b. With each application the customer shall include a simple one-line diagram and site diagram of the proposed system with each signed original of the Application.
(1) The one-line diagram shall identify all major equipment including the utility-accessible generation disconnect device and the EPE metering point.
Note: Please make sure you also clearly identify if you have a water electric meter.
(2) The site diagram shall show the physical location of the equipment in relation to the property and location of equipment on the exterior wall.
(3) For an apartment complex, the one-line diagram must depict the location of the other meters.
(4) Please verify the delivered service phase matches the installed generation phase, i.e., single phase service = single phase inverter, 3-phase service = 3-phase inverter.
Note: All three-phase Y-connected systems require three-phase connected inverters.
c. To receive the check for any money owed to you in excess of $30, EPE needs a completed copy of the IRS Form W-9 on file. If you would prefer to receive your money via direct deposit, please complete the Agreement for Direct Deposit and EPE will deposit the money directly into your checking account.
• Form W-9 (The name on the W-9 must match the primary name on the account, the first name that appears on the bill)
• Agreement for Direct Deposit
d. Print and fill out the Renewable Energy Facility Ownership Status and Form-35 Notice of
e. Mail all originals for review and approval to EPE at the address listed below:
El Paso Electric (loc.131)
P.O. Box 982
El Paso, Texas 79960
f. The customer shall install a main disconnect between the revenue meter and the main service panel. This is normally part of the outside main service panel. If not, or if the main service panel is on the inside of the wall, it will have to be added as described above. This ensures that, if necessary, the customer can be isolated from EPE’s distribution system. This is a safety precaution for EPE personnel when working on the distribution system.
g. The customer shall also include specification or technical data sheets for all required protective equipment and/or inverters for review by EPE.
h. If there are any questions or concerns about any of the customer-furnished information, an EPE representative will contact the customer to resolve these issues.
i. Upon approval, an EPE representative will contact the customer and the customer can start construction.
After construction of the generation system has been completed and undergone final electrical inspection by the authority having jurisdiction, the customer must contact EPE at firstname.lastname@example.org for an interconnection field inspection and meter installation. The purpose of the inspection is to verify that facility construction conforms to the representation presented in the Agreement and its attachments.
Please do not energize your system until after EPE has performed its inspection and replaced the existing meter.
4. SIGNED AGREEMENT
After the interconnection facility has been approved by EPE, EPE will identify the location as an EPE Net Metering Interconnection site by means of a label on the meter box or adjacent to the meter box. Along with written authorization, EPE will return one of the fully executed Agreement originals to the customer.
5. NET METERING
As a net metering customer, with an approved Simplified Interconnection Application and Certification Notice, if your system produces more energy than you use each month, you will receive a credit on your bill for this extra energy. This is based on EPE’s avoided cost schedule:
6. RENEWABLE ENERGY CERTIFICATE CREDITS
With an approved Application for Small System Renewable Energy Certificate Program Contract and Certification Notice, you are eligible to receive credits for any energy generated by your system as provided in EPE’s approved NM Rate 33.
If you have any questions or would like more information, please send an e-mail to email@example.com or contact Customer Service at (915) 543-5970 or (575) 526-555 ext. 5172.