Summer College Internship
As a participant of the El Paso Electric (EPE) Company Summer College Internship Program, you’ll gain valuable on-the-job experience in one of our corporate divisions and advance your leadership and professional competencies through challenging work projects and development training. This unique program allows participants to network with executives and business leaders in the Company, gain electrical utility work experience, and build transferable skills such as problem-solving, teamwork, and effective communication.
This paid program recruits Seniors and Graduate students from colleges and universities throughout the country who have a vested interest in the power industry with the goal of returning that talent back to El Paso, TX or Las Cruces, NM upon graduation. Students who participate in this program are attending college in an area outside of the El Paso and Las Cruces area and are interested in building their career in the utility industry or within EPE’s service territory.
At El Paso Electric, our interns are an important part of our team.
El Paso Electric’s Summer College Internship Program is committed to providing a holistic work experience by developing professional ingenuity, cultivating leadership skills, identifying strengths, leveraging weaknesses and encouraging collaboration with coworkers and interns.
Learning & Development
El Paso Electric paves the way for our interns to be successful by immersing them into challenging and fun learning activities to help power their success.
El Paso Electric’s exclusive learning curriculum includes an insight to the fundamentals of power by exploring the basics of power generation, transmission and distribution and all the components required to “keep the lights on”. EPE’s exclusive Electricity 101 class is an interactive guided tour of our power plants, substations, safety, pole climbing and much more!
Participants can also expect to build their financial acumen by learning the game of business, finance and strategy in our Zodiak® training. This sophisticated simulation is a fast-paced, energizing and engaging way to increase participant understanding of financial drivers and strategic objectives and the connection between strategy, financial success and the impact of strategic decisions.
Additional trainings include True Colors, Project Management, and Leadership Development all designed to enhance personal and professional working relationships by exercising participant leadership and management skills.
Experience Vs. Work
Our interns get experience, while having an experience!
Each year, program participants will also take on a project management role by overseeing EPE’s annual summer intern Corporate Social Responsibility Initiative. This unique assignment challenges all participants to think creatively, work outside the box and collaborate with employees at all levels across the Company to address challenges facing citizens in the El Paso and Las Cruces community.
Upon completion of this initiative, participants will have strengthened their management and leadership skills, enhanced problem-solving, teamwork and communication skills and an understanding of multiple functions within a corporate environment.
Participants complete the program equipped with transferable industry job skills that empower them to play a vital role in effectively leading diverse groups of people and improving their communities.
Qualifications for the El Paso Electric Summer College Internship Program are below. All requirements must be met.
1. Currently enrolled as a Full-Time Undergraduate Senior (12 hours) or Graduate student (9 hours). Students must be currently enrolled at the time of application and taking classes in an accredited college or university in the United Sates and be an Undergraduate Senior or Graduate student.
- College seniors graduating in December 2019 or May 2020 may apply for the program and participate immediately after graduation.
- Individuals who have taken college courses but are currently taking time off from school are ineligible.
3. Must be pursuing an undergraduate or graduate degree in Science, Math, Engineering, Accounting, Finance, Business, Public Relations, Communication or related field.
4. Must be legally authorized to work in the United States. Students must meet all the above requirements to be considered for this program.
2. Meet Any School Requirements for Participation. Students must have an overall G.P.A of 3.0 or above.
- Students must be in “good standing” with their respective university to participate in our program. This includes G.P.A., classification, and number of credit hours earned.
- Schools will be contacted to verify eligibility
- Read job posting in its entirety
- If you have not already done so, you will need to create an EPE UltiPro profile in order to apply
- Be prepared to upload your resume and official or unofficial transcripts
- Transcripts may be uploaded into the documents section of your profile and application
- Overall GPA should match official transcript
- Ensure all of your contact information is current and up to date on your resume and application
- Showcase your best “you”; ensure your resume speaks on your behalf as it relates to the position you’re applying for
- Read the FAQs and be sure to contact us at email@example.com for questions, assistance or troubleshooting
El Paso Electric Company (EPE) is dedicated to providing equal employment opportunities to all qualified persons in all areas of occupation without regard to age, disability status, national origin or ancestry, race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, workers’ compensation status, veteran status, military service, genetic information, citizenship, or familial responsibilities. In addition, EPE is committed to complying with all relevant and applicable federal, state and local laws pertaining to equal employment opportunity and nondiscrimination in the workplace.