2021 All Source RFP for Electric Power Supply and Load Management Resources for New Mexico
El Paso Electric (EPE) is issuing an All Source Request for Proposal (RFP) to obtain both short-term and long-term generating resources and renewable energy for its New Mexico customers by 2025. The objective of this RFP is to obtain renewable energy to meet New Mexico’s increasing Renewable Portfolio Standard (RPS) and capacity required to meet projected New Mexico energy demand. The New Mexico RPS requires EPE to meet 40% of its New Mexico jurisdictional sales with renewable energy resources beginning in 2025.
EPE’s initial resource planning studies project a New Mexico capacity need of approximately 40 megawatts (MW) in 2022 growing up to 90 MW in 2024, with 90-110 MW of capacity needed to meet our New Mexico customer’s long-term energy demand in 2025. New generation is also necessary to offset EPE's planned retirements of older, less-efficient generating units.
As part of New Mexico’s RPS, EPE will also need a long-term resource that will generate approximately 175,000 megawatt hours (MWh) per year of additional renewable energy by December 2024.
Any procurement resulting from this 2021 RFP is subject to approval by EPE's Board of Directors and the New Mexico Public Regulation Commission.
A Pre-bid Webcast will be held on Tuesday, August 24, at 2:00 p.m. MDT. EPE highly encourages interested bidders to submit questions in advance of the Pre-bid Webcast so that EPE can strive to have prepared responses available at the Pre-bid Webcast.
Microsoft Teams meeting information for Pre-bid Webcast:
WARNING: Please mute the speakers on your computer and rely on the phone for all audio communications; otherwise, your computer speaker sound will cause noise interference if being picked up by your phone.
1. Login to the webcast via phone by dialing in the Toll Number and Conference ID below.
Microsoft Teams meeting
Join on your computer or mobile app
Or call in (audio only)
+1 915-320-3480,,556622104# United States, El Paso
Phone Conference ID: 556 622 104#
2. Make sure your audio is muted on Microsoft Teams and on the phone.
Plan to login 15 minutes prior to the webcast meeting time, 2:00 p.m. MDT.
The 2021 RFP Excel Input Templates workbook was posted on August 10, 2021. All applicable templates in the workbook must be completed in full and submitted by end of business (MDT) on Wednesday, November 10, 2021. Please use an entirely new workbook, and fill in all applicable templates, for each proposal and each option.
- About EPE
- Partners & Vendors
- Economic Development
- Generator Interconnection
- EPE Branding
Request for Proposals
- 2023 Texas All-Source RFP
- 2023 RFP for Renewable Energy for New Mexico
- RFP for EV Charging Stations Instant Rebate Solution and EV Charging Data Collection Platform
- EPE Advanced Metering Infrastructure (AMI)
- NM Renewable Portfolio Standard
- NM Energy Efficiency and Load Management Programs
- TX Residential Rebate Pilot Program
- Resource Planning
- 2021 All Source RFP for Electric Power Supply and Load Management Resources for New Mexico
- 2021 All Source RFP for Electric Power Supply and Load Management Resources for Texas
- 2022 RFP for Energy Efficiency and Load Management Market Potential Study
- Public Notices
- EPE Investor Relations